Well, there it is--practically the only picture in existence with me wearing my wig! It looks fine but I think one of the reasons I don't love it is that I haven't had bangs since I was in high school and I just can't get used to that. Especially since they are fake and therefore don't seem to fall very naturally. However, as hairpieces go, I'd say it isn't bad.
As noted previously, I usually walk around without anything on my head. Yes, I really will post a photo of that too one of these days. I wear the wig for special occasions though, and today it was because a bunch of us went up to the Oakland Temple to be with a friend of ours who was going for the first time. (This is a significant milestone in the LDS faith.)
It was a great experience today not only for all of the regular reasons, but because I made two startling but pleasant realizations. First, I could tell that I really am healthier and stronger than I was a few months ago. I came to this conclusion because there is a staircase that we climb to get up to the room for the session at the temple. It consists of over fifty stairs and even though the stairs are not very high, they have winded me in the recent past. We were at the temple in June and when Tom suggested I take the elevator I refused, thinking I had taken these stairs many times and it would be no problem. That time I was really heaving and my legs were sore for days. Then I went back a couple of times in August and again today, and with each visit I was less affected.
The second epiphany came to me as I was sitting in the session and reflecting on everything our family has been through this year and I caught myself thinking, "I'm glad it happened." I've often thought to myself that despite how difficult the illness was and the toll it took on me and my family, I had learned a lot and that I would try to make the most of it; but I never thought I'd be one of those cheesy people who said they were grateful for their trials. Grateful for the growth and the friendships and the perspective perhaps, but not grateful enough that I would actually choose those experiences if I could. Today, completely without forcing myself, I very naturally decided that I am truly glad it happened.
I came home and really thought about that as I had delicious homemade bread from a friend who has promised to teach me how to bake it, covered in delicious homemade jam that had magically appeared in my refrigerator while my sister-in-law was baby-sitting my kids. I would never have wanted to learn to bake homemade bread or make homemade jam. Those are just two things I have been inspired to want to learn.
I took off my wig and placed it back in its little spot on the corner of our dresser. If I planned to wear it more often I would take better care of it, putting it on its little stand. Instead it sits there like a lifeless animal and apparently it kind of freaks out my husband when he wakes up every morning. He's wonderful, so he didn't mention that it frightens him until after I was done with treatment, and he hasn't complained that I haven't figured out a better place to keep it yet.
Perhaps I will put it back in its box and tuck it away, as I won't be needing it much longer.



No comments:
Post a Comment