Thursday, September 3, 2009

The caterpillar at our house






We have a new pet. I am hoping the acquisition of this new pet will appease my children for some time, as I may never be ready to house anything with hair.

On the walk home from school, I spied a caterpillar and pointed it out. The boys excitedly picked it up and decided we should keep it. At first, Progeny Numero Dos (this is what I call him when I am talking about him in front of him) suggested we name it Philip. You've gotta love the fact that he loves himself.

Ultimately, the boys decided on "Sam" or "Sammy." (Either will do.) I think the name readily popped to mind because they have three relatives and a close friend named Sam.

They put Mr. Sam the Caterpillar (the long version of his name) in a Tupperware container and gave him twigs, leaves and dirt so he would feel at home. We gave him lettuce to dine on and we occasionally put a couple of drops of water in there so that he can stay hydrated. I honestly don't know if this is the best way to keep a caterpillar alive; I am just guessing here. I have my doubts as to whether he will last until next week, let alone to spin his cocoon and emerge as a butterfly. In any event, it is providing some great entertainment for the children.

1 comment:

  1. you always have something fun happening at your house (from laundry basket missions to caterpillars!) I know we have said this, but we will have to get together soon.

    ReplyDelete