Here we see Miles' backpack hanging on its hook...WHERE IT BELONGS!!! He hung it there all by himself after only one week of me reminding him every single day to do so. This is what I call progress.
We are all experiencing some progress here at our house. While there are still many nights when getting them to clean up before bedtime is agony, they are slowly becoming more agreeable. Not only is Miles remembering to hang up his backpack, but he has this new ritual of vacuuming after he showers. It's strange but helpful, so I will not complain.
Philip is 98% toilet trained. What I mean is that he is completely capable and now rarely has any accidents, which is a big improvement from where he was a month ago. Seeing as how he starts preschool next week, it is an important accomplishment.
The case Tom is working on goes to trial next week, so I guess that is progress.
Fiona spoke her first entire sentence this week. It was, "No, I don't like it." She repeats this frequently. (Ex: "Let's go change your diaper," No, I don't like it. "Time for your nap." No, I don't like it. "Here's your lunch." No, I don't like it.) She is also getting two new teeth after months and months of only having six. I had no idea what made her so cranky this morning; I was shopping for clothing because weight gain due to food intake is different from weight gain due to pregnancy, thus I don't own much clothing that fits my body properly. I keep wearing the same handful of outfits over and over. When I was about to leave the dressing room, Fiona tried to escape and when I pulled her back she got so angry she threw my cell phone on the floor and then threw herself on the floor and proceeded to have a massive tantrum. As I put her back in the cart it became apparent that purchasing my clothing was not an option, so we walked out of the store while many people stared. Some of them were glancing up in curiosity, while others were shaking their heads. Who are these people who look at a crying toddler and shake their heads? Are they idiots or have they never had children or both? It was 11 A.M. so obviously I hadn't been dragging her around all day forcing her to watch me shop. When children cry in public places, I make a nice comment if I am standing directly next to them (such as, "I was in your position last week") and otherwise I completely ignore it as if I don't hear it at all. The last thing I want to do is add to that mother's stress! I was relieved to see the teeth poke through so that her outburst had an explanation.
As for me, I am gaining more hair by the day. I could almost put barrettes in it now if I wanted to. I am also making progress in the love-the-animals department. I am fearing for the life of Mr. Sammy the Caterpillar. Philip is so NOT GENTLE with his new pet. I find myself constantly telling him to be more careful. When left alone, it is doing a lot of squirming on its back. I can't tell if that is normal or if it's writhing in pain. It is odd realizing I essentially feel compassion toward a worm.
Thus we are all feeling pretty good about ourselves here at our house.



Wow, vacuming and hanging his backpack all on his own definitely is impressive! And I am with you with the looks people give to cranky toddlers in stores... they have definitely never had children. Something about the post office causes melt downs for my children everytime so I avoid it at all costs! However, it is amazing what a difference others around you can make in your stress level. I was there with my kids a few weeks ago and both my kids were being major pills. I was about to leave and just forget it since there were about five people in line ahead of me and I didn't think I could last that long. But they were all so nice, they let me go to the very front of the line so I could get out of there. It has made me want to try even more to help others I see struggling with little ones somewhere...it is amazing how such a little thing can make such a difference! I've been at the other end of that one too when people give you the look, and it just makes you want to melt away.
ReplyDeletei laughed out loud at the fact that he vacuums after he showers. guess if he is clean, his surroundings need to be :-) too funny.
ReplyDeleteand i don't know what is wrong with your parenting abilities, but my kids never throw fits in stores or scream "NOOOOOOOO" at the top of their lungs. :-) haha. but seriously, don't you wish sometimes that you dared to say something to the person rolling their eyes at your toddler?