Monday, June 8, 2009

Quick update on Mandy's cancer treatment


Something somewhat short...shocking I know. This is how I prove I am REALLY TIRED!!!

In a nutshell:

Chemo ended today. HOORAY!

I was so excited because I thought I was done with Neupogen shots two Saturdays ago, but last Saturday my blood count was the lowest ever, so I still have to have 3 shots this week, but then that is the END of the shots.

Doctor says that in the next two weeks, most of my side effects will end. (I guess those 15-20 lbs I gained on the Prednisone will just melt away LOL?) Unfortunately, it may take a few months for the hands and toes to stop tingling. They are almost completely numb now. So weird. Whatever. I'm pretty much cured. :)

I had an initial appt. with the radiologist last week and will have a "simulation" with him next week, at which point I will know when my daily radiation will be. He is starting me earlier than expected and it is only 17 days not 20! Woo-hoo! Estimated start date June 23rd, estimated end date JULY 16th!

According to the doctors, I will not even be as tired as I am now (how could I be?) during radiation, so that is good. I will, however, be relatively fatigued for the next 6 months and am supposed to kind of take it easy until the end of the year. Locals, please remind me not to sign up for everything under the sun, because you know that is going to be my tendency the second I get some energy, especially after you have all run my life for me these last few months! Can't wait to pay you all back but apparently I am supposed to wait until 2010 to do so.

Wore the wig-- three times last week. (I'll post a picture eventually because I know some of you out there are curious....) Not itchy, but hot if the weather is not cool. As I previously mentioned, on the first day, I wore it all day long and when we were driving home from my brother-in-law's in the evening I took it off and Philip said, "Mom, put your pretend hair back on." I guess he hadn't realized his mother looking relatively normal was an option! I told him I was feeling warm and I would put it back on another day, to which he replied in a grumpy voice, "I don't like your sickness." He has repeated this sentiment about 15 times a day since. We are all looking forward to August! I think I am going to try to explain to him that the sickness is actually gone now, but I still have treatment to help it stay away. I am hoping this will help.

My husband is amazing. Did I mention that before?

3 comments:

  1. So happy for you that the chemo treatments are done!! Great news that the radiation will be done sooner than you thought. As we talked about, mid-July will be a time for celebration...for you and us with the boys! We'll have to talk about getting together then! Congrats on getting through the chemo, and good luck with the radiation treatments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy - I have been wanting to email you for several weeks - ever since I received that awesome card in the mail from you! I loved it! I will email you a more personal note but I wanted to write a quick comment to say HOORAY that the chemo is done. You did it! With grace, I must add! Bummer to hear that your numbness has been so persistent, though. Gees, I hope that clears soon. I keep saying the same thing about the Prednisone weight for myself - I am hoping when I am active again that these pounds will drop off!!

    I'm so happy that you are done with this hurdle and now on to the less invasive part of the treatment. I think of you often and always look forward to your updates. I especially enjoy seeing photos of those beautiful kids of yours! They are SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mandy,
    I,too, was touched by your Mother's Day card and have kept it on my fridge to remember all the blessings we have been given. I am so glad to hear the chemo is done and you are on the mend. What a journey--and it sounds like you are almost to the finish line!
    We think about the Carmack's all the time,
    Elena

    ReplyDelete