
The oncologist said I would start to lose my hair on day fifteen, which was Wed. April 1st. She said it was "like clockwork." In my book, "like clockwork" means you pretty much have a 100% guarantee. So Tuesday night Tom and our friend Moe shaved their heads with the help of Boyd and Chris. I'm glad Boyd and Chris were there to do most of the shaving and Lindsay was there to take pictures, because I am neither good at photography nor hair cutting. One time Tom had an uneven cut in the back and he asked me to even it out with the electric clippers and I told him over and over that I couldn't but he always has unreasonable faith in me, so he forced me to try and I totally made it worse.
Another friend couldn't make it but shaved his head on his own, and I've heard there are a couple others out there considering it...but in the meantime I guess the April Fool's joke is that we are now to day 17 and I haven't lost any hair yet! I got all geared up and made sure my sister-in-law and cousin were here for moral support, and then nothing happened! My cousin said, "I think it's a sham. You're not going to lose your hair after all." Apparently "like clockwork" doesn't have the same meaning I thought it did. I asked the doctor about it yesterday and she said, "You will lose it." So I don't know if we are talking a couple more days or a couple more weeks, but I'm just going to be grateful for every day I have with my cute short do.
The boys were so cute when they woke up Wednesday morning to Dad's new buzz cut. Philip came running in to Miles saying, "Dad did shave his head!" (He often talks like he's quoting scripture with the whole unusual "I did go here" or "you did do this" tense) Excitedly, he continued, "Come see the style that is on the top of Dad's head!" Once he saw it, Miles decided he wanted to shave his and Philip did too. I told them that pretty soon I'd be losing my hair and then I'd probably shave mine and they could do it then. So they are excited. That will be pretty cool when Fiona has the most hair out of anyone in the family. How many one-year-olds can boast that?
I think my head has been a little sore, but maybe I'm imagining it. I don't know. I love rubbing my man's head though. He says the wind feels good on it when he rides his bike to work too. Awesome.



I like the mohawk! Nice solidarity. Nice for you to have a few extra days with yours.
ReplyDeleteThese pictures remind me of when Dean and Mark shaved their heads when Claire was getting ready to start her chemo. What a great show of moral support on Tom and Moe's part. We love you guys!
ReplyDelete