Thursday, February 19, 2009

Preliminary good news at our house!

I just spoke with the surgeon who removed the lymph node from my neck on Tuesday. Early testing shows that I have Hodgkins Lymphoma, which is what we were hoping for. It is more common among relatively young people and is definitely "treatable." More testing will need to be done to see whether that means totally curable or whether we are talking about a condition that I will have to live with for a longer time period. However, it does mean that it is not the kind that would have ended my life within a few years.

Still, there is a pretty big difference between a few months of chemotherapy with an end result of "cancer-free" and a process that could continue indefinitely. We will be meeting with the oncologist sometime next week to go over in more detail the results of the biopsy and to discuss treatment. At that point they will have more information. In the meantime, I am authorized to live a normal life (ha ha ha). I have been taking Vicadin for the last couple of days to keep me from feeling much pain as well as to limit any anxiety I would have been feeling--my body reacts pretty strongly to such drugs. Right now I am completely loopy! Tom will be home soon, and then I am going to go to sleep.

25 comments:

  1. That is good news. We are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sounds like very good news. We will be praying and thinking positive thoughts.
    Love, Toni & Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome news! We are so happy for you guys! We will continue to keep you in our prayers.
    Love,
    The NJ Carmacks

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so glad to hear it is most likely the best possible scenario. That is wonderful news. Glad you are using your vicodin - it helps with the pain and it certainly helps with the anxiety! The perfect combination for you this week!
    Best wishes and good health!
    We're continuing to pray and hope for a very smooth and bearable treatment plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mandy,
    I forgot I needed to check the blog for updates instead of waiting for an email. I've been checking all day! My dad had Hodgkins while I was on my mission. His chemo really knocked it out and now he goes in for check ups every so often. With youth on your side, we will continue to pray for the best of the best scenario.
    Addison and Macie have been VERY dilligent in praying for you at all of our meals and at bed time. You are well covered here in Walnut Creek :)

    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, hooray for that. I'm so glad to hear that it's most likely this more treatable type. You'll remain in our prayers as you head toward treatment and a "cancer-free" future with that adorable family of yours! Glad you've started the blog to post updates. Someday we'll also look forard to cute pictures of the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky, lucky. Congrats for the great testing! Hopefully your treatment will go smoothly and cancer will just be a memory in a year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to hear that it is not the worst. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandy-
    What good bad news! (can't cancer change the way one looks at life?)
    I will sleep better tonight.
    Call or email if you need anything.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Booyah! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm so happy you have Hodgekins!

    (I know you know I mean that in the best way possible...as opposed to the other kind that you were concerned might be it)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this post! I've been checking throughout the day and hoping for this news. I'm also glad that you are loopy. When mom is loopy, the family is happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so glad to hear these results! we hope that all results are just as positive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are happy and relieved to hear the good news. We will continue to keep you guys in our prayers. Love, Carl and Griz.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're happy, happy, happy to hear the good news. Loopy or not, we think you're brave and courageous. Treatable is good. You'll continue to be in our prayers and thoughts. Love, Rosie and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad to hear about the good results. We're still thinking and praying for you!

    Emily and Robert

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mandy and Family-
    We are glad to hear the news!!! We are praying for you and thinking of you often. Keep us posted and let us know what you need!!! Lots of Love- the deLeon's

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad to hear the good news. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mandy,
    We're so glad to hear the results! We'll keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers. So glad we can stay updated through this blog!
    Love, The Simpsons

    ReplyDelete
  19. So very glad to read the good news! Enjoy your weekend ( as much as possible) We will keep you in our thoughts & prayers.
    Kathleen, Paul & Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Mandy, I'm so relieved. Of course I immediately looked up Hodgekins and low and behold, there were some of the symptoms you had described. I'm so grateful for the medical care that you (and so many of us) have so that you can beat this thing. I hope for further good news as the next round of tests happen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was such a relief to hear your good news. I can't wait till you are not so loopy. I wish I could be there this weekend to go out with you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Von and I just got back from a trip to London and I am checking my email and reading about your surgery and the results and ALL! Von and I gasped and then kept reading.....such a relief to hear that it is Hodgkins, Mandy and Tom. Whew.....we are going to fast for you tomorrow (Sunday) and of course, keep you in our prayers daily. Your sunny smile and go-get-it-attitude, Mandy, will see you through this! We love you very much. Von and Ann

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am glad to hear it is good news so far. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. happy to hear the relieving news. we will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad to hear the happy news! Best of luck with the next steps. You and your family will remain in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete