Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Guppies and a rash at our house

The last two days have brought the unexpected at our house. It started yesterday afternoon. . . . Mandy had another CT scan as part of the "staging" process (determining the stage of the lymphoma). The goal was to see whether she has any enlarged lymph nodes in her abdomen or whether they are limited to the area above her diaphragm. This determines whether the stage is type II or type III, which is important for the chemotherapy dosage and is determinative of the areas that will be subject to radiation treatment. It is also predictive of cure rate. Preliminary results are that she is type II (95% cure rate). But this wasn't unexpected.

What was unexpected is that Mandy is apparently part of the 5% of people who experience an allergic reaction to the iodine used as a dye for CT scans. And boy is she allergic! A few hours after the scan she started feeling a flush and then a red, puffy rash spread over her entire body. She started feeling *very* cold and, long story short, I had to run over to Walgreens at 12:30 AM for Benadryl. Although the Benadryl didn't help the rash or fever (she couldn't get warm in fleece pajamas a down comforter and a quilt), it helped her get a little sleep.

This morning she went in to see the doctor who said it would pass and that she should keep taking Benadryl. After spending the day resting, thanks to friends and family who took care of the kids, she is starting to feel better now and the rash is fading.

The second unexpected arrival at our house: guppies. Yes, the little fish. We've had this 5-gallon aquarium on our kitchen counter that has been the aquatic equivalent of a vacant slum house for the past year after the unfortunate demise of our last fish (a guppy) who lived for the grand total of a single day. So on a whim, I stopped at PetSmart on the way home from work last night and bought two guppies--a male and a female--along with a bamboo plant to keep them company. I plopped them into the tank and hoped they were survivors.

The kids were excited to see their new fish this morning after having finally given up hope that Dad would actually make good on his promise to deliver the new pets. We explained to them that the dark one was the daddy fish and the light one was the mommy fish and that they might have babies at some point. Little did we know it would be TODAY ... or that there would be TWENTY (20) of them. Yes, I got a call at work from Mandy this evening saying mommy guppy had five babies and wasn't that a lot. By the time I got home there were 7, no 8, no 9, no 13 babies. By 8:30 there were 20. Twenty baby guppies in a 5 gallon tank. And how could a sub-inch long fish carry 20 babies, even if they were each only a quarter inch long? We told the kids that most of them won't make it but we didn't have the heart to them that we don't know who the father is (surely guppies can't reproduce in one day?).
Anyway, if anyone would like some baby guppies swing by our house. Apparently we breed them.

Daddy guppy (mommy was hiding along the filter pump to keep warm)


Baby guppy (1 of 20--maybe)

6 comments:

  1. Mandy - Sorry to hear about the Iodine reaction. I am one of the 5% with you! I have to take Benadryl before each contrast CT. One time I either misunderstood the resident or they told me the wrong pre-test Benadryl dose and I took WAY TOO much and had to skip the test and stay on a gurney with a blood pressure cuff for two hours. Ridiculous! Anyway, that Benadryl will knock you out! Enjoy the rest! SOOOOOOOOOO glad that your test was clear for any spread to the abdomen. Wonderful news! We're thinking of you. Good luck with all those GUPPIES! My goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More fish sagas! Does that bring back memories? Hopefully they don't all die, a fish funeral would be sad for your kids. And I'm sorry to hear about your allergic reaction. Bummer - I hope your feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was dying laughing when I read about the guppies. Wow...unreal really! Mandy, so sorry about the rash and fever. Glad things are getting better. Let me know if you need me to help out. But, I don't think I will be taking any guppies off your hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too funny! Congratulations on the guppies. I think it's a sign, that future children are still yet to come from the two of you after this cancer business is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda!
    I am amazed at your positive attitude through all of this - you're an inspiration to me and I've vowed to quit complaining immediately about all pregnancy-related discomfort (I'm 7 months along). I'm glad your diagnosis is so treatable and although I know this trial isn't something you'd choose - I was relieved to hear that you have many happy cancer-free Mommy years ahead of you. Your family is beautiful (guppies included) and I can tell you're receiving tons of support. I just wanted to let you know that I've been thinking about you these last two weeks and you're in my prayers. Hang in there! :) Jacoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about the rash... that sounds awful to go through! Your guppy story cracked me up. Congrats of being the grandparents to 20 new additions! Just a side note to be aware, my fish had babies when I was little and we had to separate the babies from the parents in the tank using a square net that sat on the edge, because the parent fish would eat their young.

    ReplyDelete